Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Best Father's Day Ever

I married a woman I don't deserve. Seriously. She is so good to me. Last night Ashley announced that we would be celebrating Father's Day one week early since I would be out of town next week. She started with a little Cordon Bleu she had whipped up earlier in the day. Then she gave me a hand-made card (as in Charlie's first hand-print) from her and Charlie telling me that I could sleep all night (no Charlie duty) and sleep in as long as I wanted Sunday morning as part of my Father's Day celebration. I was thrilled and thought I had hit Father's Day paydirt.


At 10:30 this morning I woke up to a fresh batch of blueberry muffins. Hot diggitty! After polishing off 5 muffins Charlie walked over and delivered two little plaid-printed gift wrapped packages neatly tied together with blue ribbon. The first small little package was an iPod Nano. My old iPod recently burned out and Ashley obviously took note of it. I was stoked to say the least.

Then I opened the second gift and I cried. It was a picture book of me and my two boys, Charlie and Max. She must have put the book together over the last few weeks in between caring for the boys and me. I love it! It was a little more thoughtful than the handful of gift cards I bought her for Mother's Day at 11 pm the night before. I normally wouldn't admit the crying bit, but once in a blue moon Ashley (and the rest of the world) deserves to know how much I appreciate her. Thanks Ashley.

3 comments:

Dave said...

What a fun father's day! Crying is awesome... I am the president of the cry baby club in my ward... my first counselor is a 300 pound Samoan, named "T". So, there is no shame in crying! You must be a good dad!

Ashley said...

This post was nicer than your whole Father's Day. And your giftcard bouquet was perhaps my favorite gift of all time. Truly, you deserve much much more but there is no way to ever express our appreciation for what a good dad you are. Our kids are so lucky, as am I.

Molly said...

That really is cute. I wish we gave thoughtful gifts like that. But neither of us are that creative. You are a good dad.