Monday, October 13, 2008

We Live in a Society

When I came home from work tonight I found Ashley on her cell phone making call after call for the Yes on Prop 8 campaign. To my surprise she said that one of the most pleasant conversations she had was with a man who disagreed with her. "He was nice and respectful, and we pleasantly agreed to disagree," she said. I think it stuck out to her because many people find it difficult act with civility when disagreeing on an issue as important as Prop 8. I was appreciative that the man on the other line chose to treat my wife with respect.
Similarly I can't stand it when people think they are justified in being rude to telemarketers, door to door salespeople or any other human being for that matter. As if the poor sap on the other end of the line wants to be on that phone call any more than you do. They're on that phone or on your door step because A) they are trying to earn a living or B) they are working for something they believe in. Either one deserves a little respect and courtesy in my opinion.

2 comments:

Amy said...

well put. I entirely agree.

Anonymous said...

Amen