Sunday, October 19, 2008

STOMPER 4x4s

A little over a week before Charlie's birthday party I stumbled across a couple of old Stompers on Ebay. I was 4 years old in 1980 when these first came out and hadn't seen them since.



They're super simple motorize trucks and tons of fun. So I bought 'em for Charlie.


These two particular trucks were made in the 90's (not the originals from the 80's). When they arrived I ripped them out of their packages and neither truck worked. I was crushed - especially since this was Charlie's only gift from us. I took them both apart (something I had hoped I'd have to do) and realized that one needed some new wiring and the other just needed to be rolled around a bit to unstick its very old motor and gears.

It took me about an hour to get both trucks running.

(My best attempt at an action shot)

(Real, working headlights)

Now that Charlie has them, I'm sure they'll be broken within two or three days.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

You didn't mention that you were MacGyver and cut up an old DSL switch or some such electrical thing to get a wire which you then jimmied into the stomper to miraculously bring it back to life. I was impressed, and you were more excited than I've seen you since you made your last pinewood derby car.

You were not born to market software.

sheryl said...

oh how funny! I remember the stompers. Let us know how many times you have to rescue these from charlies abuse before they end up in the round file.

sheryl said...

so you realize tyler....I have looked many times for a car blog...I didn't realize the restoration would be about stompers

Unknown said...

All I have to say is that this is so Tyler.