Friday, November 7, 2008

She's Kinda Neat

This afternoon while Ashley and I were driving to the mall to get her birthday present she did something that reminded me why I love her so much (Note to self: When she makes a list of things she wants for her birthday, don't surprise her with something that's not on the list).


Ashley was telling me about the incentive/rewards system she has with her seminary students. Her students can earn points (tickets) that will go towards Operation Smile, a program that helps pay for cleft palette surgeries for children in a 3rd world countries. The fact that she gets involved in just about every charity that comes her way says so much about who she is.

But what got to me today was when she broke down crying while reading a letter from the Operation Smile asking her to donate more to the cause. Of course when she read the letter about those kids whose lives were changed with a simple surgery, she was so choked up with emotion that she had trouble finishing it. It reminded me of one of our first dates when she bawled uncontrollably during a movie about whales. Movies aren't the only thing she cries over. She's always imagining horrible scenarios where one of us gets hit by a bus or ends up in some similar tragedy and often ends up in tears because of it.

Ashley certainly isn't the first girl to get emotional during a chick-flick, but she is so caring and loving that I am constantly amazed. I'm so glad that she spends her days, nights and weekends caring for and teaching our two boys how to be thoughtful, decent little boys. I can't imagine anyone else raising Max and Charlie. I'm glad that she is so strong and firm about what she believes in, yet so tender deep down. I'm also grateful that she chose me for a husband. I can't imagine my life without her and would be devastated if she were ever hit by a bus.

7 comments:

Molly said...

That was very very sweet. We like Ashley, too. Great to see you guys at dinner last night! (And just to toot my own horn, I did tell you to get her a gift off her list...)

brooke said...

This was very nice and it totally captured how we all feel about Ashley. Of course, we would be devastated if you were hit by a bus too. BTW, never never stray from the list. What did you get her?

Tyler said...

I'd been planning to get her a new purse for a week or two, but knew I couldn't pick out the right one. I had planned to just buy one so I'd have something to give her then let her return it and pick out her own. But at the last minute (I.e. on her birthday) I decided it would be more fun to look together. So I took her the mall, walked her over to Nordstrom and then to the handbag section. At that point she turned to me and said, "You're getting me a new purse?" with a confused and somewhat hurt look on her face. I had hoped for, "Oh! You're getting me a new purse!" followed by a big smooch.

Turns out she still had feelings for the purse she got in Italy and wasn't ready to replace it. Me suggesting she needed a new purse was more like an intervention than a celebration. FYI..Her purse is totally faded and looks like something you'd get at a thrift store now.

Anonymous said...

I love that you love Ash. I love her too .. just in a different way and would too hate if she got hit by a bus.

Unknown said...

Thank you Tyler for that response on painting the furniture. Luckily what we have isn't top notch quality either, so I think spray paint is the way I will go. Funny, because I WAS looking at it in our local paint store and talked myself out of it because it was ghetto. Thanks again.

Linda said...

Tyler - I'm just catching up on blogs -- sorry I haven't been real great about commenting on yours - it's about all I can do to keep up on Ashley's & Brooke's. But your post about Ashley was so sweet, and just made me love ya all the more. . .she's lucky to have you as well! You are perfect for each other and you make perfectly adorable grandkids for me!!

Ashley said...

This was so nice. I'm sorry I didn't comment sooner. Your tributes are always the best part of any holiday.

I must clarify that I bawled my eyes out to the movie "Charley," not the one about whales.

And the purse idea really was thoughtful and sweet. I'm so glad to have a new one now, especially after the disparaging remarks made about my purse by so many of the commenters on my blog!

If you still want that big smooch, I'm game.