Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Favorite Shots: San Juan Oaks 16th

I have a bad memory. No, a horrible memory. I can't remember names, facts or dates to save my life. Yet I can usually recall every single stroke played during a round of golf for months, sometimes years, afterward. Ashley suggests that I don't have a bad memory, just a selective one for things I really care about. She may be right. For some reason whacking a little golf ball down the fairway leaves a lasting impression. So I've decided to write some of them down.


San Juan Oaks is one of my favorite courses. It's located in San Juan Bautista, just outside Hollister, which is just south of Gilroy, which is about 30 minutes south of San Jose, CA. I've played the course a few dozen times since it was built back in the mid-90s, so most of my memories from this course blend together. But there is one particular pitching wedge that I'll never forget.

(San Juan Oaks 16th - the flag was just behind the right edge of the sand trap when I played it)

One of the easiest holes is the par three 16th. Like most of the holes on the back nine, it was carved into the natural landscape of San Juan's rolling foothills. Most of the holes look like they've just always been there. This particular par three is just over 100 yards from elevated tees that look down to a small green across a narrow canyon. By the time we got to the 16th we (me, my dad, my friend Brian and his dad) were playing in the shadows since the sun was already setting below the hills to our backs.

When it was my turn to hit I felt like I was going to hit a good shot. And I did. I hit the ball clean, high and straight at the flag. On its way up, just before the ball crested, it broke through the shade cover and was lighted by the suns setting rays. It was beautiful. The ball clipped the flagstick on its way down landing just four inches behind the cup, and checked up leaving the easiest birdie putt I have ever had. It's still the closest I've come to a hole-in-one. I could play that hole a hundred more times and not have a prettier ball flight and result.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I'm like that with running. I can remember exactly how I felt at each mile of a race. Interesting.