Friday, November 28, 2008

Favorite Shots: Spyglass Hill 4th

I've played Spyglass Hill once and it was an experience I'll be telling my grandchildren about when I'm old and gray. It was the second half of a two day regional NCGA tournament that my dad and I were playing in. Unlike the first day of the tournament at Poppy Hills where we had beatiful weather with almost no wind, the second round at Spyglass was played during gail-force winds coming off the Pacific Ocean.

Nowhere on the course was the wind more treacherous than on the already difficult par-4 fourth hole where the fairway runs along the coastline perpendicular to the 40 mph gusts coming off the ocean.
I hit a low tee shot to try and keep the ball out of the wind. It leaked a little right with the wind and just barely stayed in playable terrain. I found my ball in the right hand rough on a severe downslope. I had a clear line to the narrowest green I had ever seen. But from playing this course on my computer (the only affordable way I could prepare for playing) I knew the green was sloped away from me. So even if I got the ball there I knew that coming out of the rough, from a downhill slope, through the wind there was almost no way I could stop the ball on the green.

I had only about 150 yards to the pin, but decided to play my 5 iron and punch it low into the wind. I took a 3/4 swing and struck the ball cleanly. Watching it roll to the green I was sure the ball would either stop short of the green leaving me a horrible down hill chip or would roll through the green off the back side. However, it appeared to stop somewhere on the green.

The ball ended up about 10 feet below the cup, a perfect spot for putting. A tournament volunteer assigned to that hole said it was easily the best shot he had seen all day. I agreed.

Of course I three putted from 10 feet which took a bit of glory out of the shot, but that 5 iron is still one of my favorite shots to date.

Note: I hit 11 of 14 fairways that day (not including the 4rth hole) and most of the greens in regulation, but had one of the ugliest putting days ever. We didn't win the tournament.

1 comment:

sheryl said...

I look forward to the day I am not sitting at my computer stressed to the max and wishing I were anywhere but here, doing homework! You have some beautiful shots! However, I think you have missed the best of them all. St George has some amazing courses that should be in your collection. Not only do they have amazing courses, but I know a pretty good bed and breakfast really really cheep! I bet with a little twist of the arm you could even convince some "magical time" and a babysitter while you check out the hot...(if you come in the summer) night life.

Your post was great! And your posts about Ashley is the kind that should go in a chick flick.

...still haven't seen your car...but this was good. :)

Happy Holidays!