Monday, April 30, 2007

It's a Man-log, Not a Blog.

Something has been bugging me for a few days. What's troubling me? I feel uncomfortable and ashamed to have my own blog. It was only tonight that I finally realized why. The blogs I know are for sharing feelings with anyone and everyone then hoping that they all feel the same way. Blogs are for gushing about your favorite sweater, movie or pastry. Blogs are also about quilts, recipes and homemade picture frames. Blogs are for girls.



I finally realized this tonight when my blog gave me the same feeling I had in the third grade when I took my cabbage patch doll to school for show and tell.





Mom, why did I even have a cabbage patch doll in the third grade? I know I probably asked for one when I saw Amy get one, but that's still no reason to give your son a doll, let alone let him take it to school. Dad, I'm sorry.

I'm ashamed that I didn't realize this sooner, but knowing what I know now, I can no longer be a blogger. Not like this. From now on, this posting site is not a blog.

This online record is a man-log. It's topics will be limited to cars, golf, barbeques, inventions, how to get rich quick and my family. Topics will not include favorites of any kind, cake recipes or photos of flowers.

Why don't I quit all together? I know that this is my only hope for any record of my life and legacy. And since I wrote in My 100 that I would never be the type to maintain a nightly journal, this is my only reasonable alternative. By the way, that whole "My 100" thing,... another indication that blogs are for girls. How many guys do you know that wrote their 100?

So, read it if you must, but please be advised, this record is no longer a blog.

I feel much better now.



4 comments:

Molly said...

Am I your only friend on here? I think so. Don't be ashamed of your cabbage patch doll. If you're secure in your manliness (or your little boy-li-ness back in the 3rd grade), then embrace that inner doll lover! No one will call you gay. Except maybe Ian. And I'm still getting the courage up to write anything else on my blog. Still can't figure out why that is. I can't blame it on the whole girliness of it like you can.

Ashley said...

I can't believe you had a cabbage patch doll and that I am only hearing about this now! In the words of Nelson, HA-HA! But I support the Man-log regardless. I still think it's ok to post "favorites." What is a blog (or Man-log) without favorites???

Tyler said...

I like the small following. I think I'm a bit non-traditional with this blog thing in that I don't want people to read it. Except for you guys of course. Thanks for reading and commenting. And, at least the cabbage patch doll was a boy doll, right?

Linda said...

Tyler - I just learned about your blog, er "man-log" tonight. Who knew?? Oh yes, I'm a commenter . . .so from now on. . . And I think the cabbage patch BOY doll was great! I think that's part of why you are a great dad!
Love ya!