Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Get off the phone!!!

Topic: Cell phone etiquette

Question: When is it rude to chat on your cell phone?


1) In the car when you're not alone?

Answer: Most of the time. I believe that occasionally its OK to take a quick call from your mother or a long lost friend, but more often than not calls from the car are unnecessary. "Just wait until you get home and call the person back!" is what Ashley would say. She's right and I should probably be a little more disciplined on this one.

2) When you're on the toilet?

Answer: There is never a situation where you should place or receive a call while using the bathroom. If talking in the car is rude, talking while on the can is despicable. End of discussion.

3) On the golf course?

Answer: I just had to throw this one in for my good friend Adam. He answers his phone any time or place which I usually appreciate, because that means I can always reach him. However, that needs to stop when we're on the course. Sorry Adam, you gotta turn that phone off some time.

4) When you're already talking to someone else?

Answer: Is clicking over a big deal? I hope not because I do it quite a bit. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is rude, but I guess I just hope people don't mind that much when I ask "Can you hold on for a second."

What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

Ashley said...

My comments are too many. I will have to do my own post about this most important of all topics.

Mitch said...

I'm going to have to disagree with you on calls in the car when people are with you in the car... I'm a firm believer that catching up on calls in the car is a good thing... and if someone else wants to join in on the conversation, that's ok. If the other people in the car have phones, they're invited to make calls too.

Molly said...

Funny you should mention this, because you once got annoyed with me for not clicking over to answer your call. But I had literally JUST called someone and they had JUST answered the phone. I think in situations like that, the person calling on the other line should just have to leave a message.

Tyler said...

Mitch, in practice I agree. I don't mind when others place calls so they shouldn't mind when I place calls, right? In principle however I actually think it probably falls on the rude side (not extremely rude, just moderately rude). To be honest, I enjoy evesdropping so having someone else on the phone never bugs me that much.

brooke said...

I think it is one thing to click over and come back but I hate it when someone hears the other call come in and tells you they've got to go and will call you back. I don't understand why you can't just call the person back who is calling in. Also, I think it is bad form to call someone when you are in the car with someone else. Very tacky. It's one thing to take a quick call--it's another thing entirely to take a call and chat for the entire ride.

teuscher travels said...

One of my big pet peeves is when it is just me and someone else in the car, if it is in a group and you take a phone call it is more OK. If it just me and one other and they take a long call AND ask me to turn down the radio....nothing good will result! Nice topic Tyler, can't wait to hear what you have to say Ashley!! ....maybe I do need a blog....