Saturday, December 13, 2008

100% Cotton

I prefer my cotton blended with a good portion of Polyester. Even better with a touch of Rayon. Just please don't try to tell me that 100% cotton is anything better than just a clever marketing ploy.
Like many of you, I grew up believing that cotton really was the fabric of our lives. When I looked at a shirt label and saw "100% Cotton" I was relieved because I thought I had a quality garment in my hand. Unfortunately I was simply the victim of shrewd and very effective marketing.

How can a fabric that shrinks up to 10% when washed for the first time even be acceptable, let alone be promoted as a wonder textile? And what about the fact that your 100% cotton clothing will fade almost twice as fast as anything else you own?

And did you ever stop to think about how ridiculous the concept of "Shrink to Fit" was? You have to hand it to Levi's for trying to market the unpredictable nature of cotton. But did they really expect me to take home a pair of 501 jeans, wash them in warm water and just hope that they turn out to be the right size when the jeans dried?

The fabric of our lives? I think not. Cotton is simply a natural and very affordable commodity with a whole lot of marketing dollars behind it. I'm not quite ready to boycott the stuff. Just don't make me buy it in its pure form. Do me a favor and dilute it with something like Polyester so I can have a t-shirt that will keep its shape and color.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I know you feel strongly about this and I 100% agree. I prefer my cotton mixed with spandex for shape retention and would never buy something that didn't have at least 5% spandex. 100% cotton is gnarly.

Molly said...

I have no opinion on this. In fact, I never even look at what things are made of. I just feel the fabric. If I like the way it feels, I get it.

brooke said...

Are you sure you're not a woman? I whole heartedly agree with you on this--100 % cotton is a death sentence for a shirt. As for jeans, I can't believe people ever bought their 501s and went home and prayed they somehow fit after they shrunk. I actually used to like 501s in high schoool--they were sort of vintage cool back then. I always bought mine at the DI so I knew how they would fit.