Tuesday, December 16, 2008

5 Lbs in 5 Days

Ashley goes to Utah tomorrow and I will meet her there 5 days later. So I got to thinking, why not surprise her with a new me for Christmas? I figure it would take 5 lbs to really make a splash.

I've seen people lose more in less time on The Biggest Loser, so I know it's possible. But they're also HUGE and have all day to work out (not to mention $250,000 to motivate them to eat right).

That begs the question, could I lose 5 lbs in 5 days...without cutting off an arm, visiting the hospital or dying due to dehydration or starvation?

I think it's a question of math and physical stamina. I'd have to deprive myself of 3500 calories per day. The problem is that I normally consume less than 2500 calories per day (which means I also only burn 2500 calories per day). Even if I starved myself for 5 days straight and maintained my normal calorie expenditure I'd only lose 3.5 lbs. That means I need to work out too.

At a bare minimum I'd need to work off another 1.5 lbs, or 5250 calories, in addition to the calories I lose not eating. I can burn about 150 calories in 10 minutes on a treadmill, so that's only 5 hours and 50 minutes (just over an hour a day) of running to make up the difference.

Unfortunately, I'm left with the whole living until Christmas issue. To fix that, let's say I dropped my caloric intake to 1500 calories per day instead of all the way down to zero. If I maintained my current daily activities, I'd expect to shed 1000 calories per day, leaving me with another 2500 per day that I would have to exercise my way out of. In other words, to reach my goal of 5 lbs in 5 days, I would have add 2 hrs 45 min on the treadmill (or its equivalent) each day to the 1000 calories I avoid by dieting. That's starting to sound more feasible, especially if I broke up my exercise routine into a morning and evening workout.

I may just have to try it.

6 comments:

Molly said...

Well first off, it can't very well be a surprise if you just blogged about it (pssst--your wife reads this). Secondly, I think you should just pump iron every day for the next 5 days. Make your muscles all big and swollen. So you can either shed the fat on top of the muscles so the muscles show up. Or you can pump up your muscles so they show up. I say go to the gym a lot.

Ashley said...

You've gone mad.

Tyler said...

No, I've gone skinny. Or at least I'm going skinny. Why diet over the course of a couple months when I can get the same results in under a week? You of all people should understand that somethings not worth having if you can't have it now.

When I'm done, I'm going to write a book about it. We'll make millions.

Ashley said...

I just don't want you to suffer a(NOTHER) heart attack.

So I guess I shouldn't save you any of the mac n cheese?

Tyler said...

Dang it! My diets always end with Mac N Cheese.

brooke said...

I think you're crazy. I think I might have won the weight loss competition.