Thursday, December 10, 2009

An Unexptected Birthday Surprise

I turned 34 today (thank you) and received an unexpected surprise. Actually I recieved a few of them. They were texts. (What did you think I meant?)


I realized texts are the perfect way to be wished a happy birthday by anyone who isn't your mom (or dad) or spouse. They were fun to read and provided the perfect distraction from endless work meetings.

And they're way better than phone calls. Seriously. Who wants to repeat the same phone conversation a dozen times in one day? Texts also eliminate the chance of having someone break into song on the call (mom/dad you're excused on this one) and they get you out of the back-and-forth that happens at the end of any phone conversation. Never noticed? Next time you finish a phone conversation count the number of times you and the other person say goodbye. It's amusing to say the least.

5 comments:

Molly said...

So glad I read this, because I felt like I needed to call you. I think texts are just fine on birthdays! Did you know that I secretly hope to get voicemail when I call most people?

Ashley said...

I thought the unexpected birthday gift was my post about you. Nevertheless, good point about texts. It's fun to get a million phone calls on my birthday but really who has the time.

Tyler said...

Molly, it isn't 'secretly' if you publish it on a blog. Can't say I feel the same. Usually when I call people, I want to talk to them. I just don't like them calling me most of the time.

brooke said...

I did say happy birthday on Ashley's blog--hope that counts. Your card is in the mail.

Ashley C. said...

Ha, after I sent you a text, I realized that it might be rude! I'm glad you don't feel that way. I like it...straight and to the point, not need to make awkward small talk after. Also, if I didn't text right then and there at the moment I remembered, I would probably forget entirely!