Monday, April 21, 2008

Like Kings

Last year I blogged about how I disliked Vegas. Then a couple weeks ago I blogged about how thoroughly unenjoyable work travel was. This week I am on a work trip to Vegas and enjoying it. What's gives?

  • I'm with friends. Usually I travel alone to some distant land to meet with strangers. This week I get to spend the entire week with coworkers whom I consider close friends.
  • I live like a king when I travel to Vegas. My room at the newly opend Palazzo has three flat screen TVs (one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom and one in the lounge). Enough said.
  • Then there's the food. I've been here less than 12 hours and have had two phenomenal meals. Tonight's meal was at Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare at the Wynn Hotel. I couldn't bring myself to order the more expensive "main course" items on the menu (even though work was paying for it). Still, I'm pretty sure my portion of the bill totalled over $100.

My meal:

cappesante dorate con porcini (seared sea scallops with imported porcini mushrooms) - 24.00
These were the best part of the meal. These two juicy scallops were even better than they look in the picture.

coniglio con carciofini all’aceto balsamico tradizionale (loin of rabbit with crispy artichokes and balsamic vinegar from Reggio-Emilia) - 21.00
I've only had rabbit a couple of times in my life, but I don't imagine there are many hares that taste as good as the one I had tonight.

lasagnette con ragu di crostacei (“rags” of pasta, lobster, shrimp, langoustines, crab, white wine, tomato) - 26.00
Fabulous. Although I was still dreaming about my two starter scallops late in the meal, so this course wasn't as memorable.

Chocolate mousse - ????
Who doesn't love chocolate mousse? Not me.

Click here for a full copy of the menu.

The bill for 6 people approached $1000. The excess of Vegas always makes me uncomfortable, but I have to admit I enjoy the high life when it's a part of the job.

6 comments:

Christian Aufdermauer said...

I am not a big fan of Vegas. The free meals are great but everything else is a waste of time. My favorite thing in Vegas is the departure flight taking me home.

Celia Fae said...

I could take or leave Vegas, but that food sounds phenom.

You are a brave man. When my husband goes on work trip he makes sure to tell me how much he hates his hotel, all of the gross food he ate, and how ugly all of the women he works with are. Otherwise, I'd be ugly with jealousy.

Ashley C. said...

Woah! I would love to be a waitress there! Could you imagine how much they make in tips each night!?

Tyler said...

Yep. This waiter made a killing on us.

Molly said...

Oh my gosh! I was going to write about how Christian likes Vegas only for the fact that he finally gets real meals. But he already commented! I'm so proud.

Ashley said...

LOIN of rabbit? Nice.