Sunday, April 20, 2008

Men: Good for Something

Just visited a blog written by women, for women. The post I read was essentially a celebration of women's ability to do twice as much as a man around the home and with the family. Should I be offended? Not really. We all know women are better at running a tight ship than men are.

Disclaimer for feminists: I know that last statement about women was a broad generalization and not necessarily representative of all women. I understand there are many women completely capable of being just as unhelpful as men are when it comes to tidying the home, paying bills, getting kids to practice, etc.

Instead of refuting what we all know to be true (at least in the general sense), I thought I would offer up a few generalizations regarding what men are good for.

Men:

  • Good for getting the toothpaste back to the top of the tube
  • Good for pointing out that Star Wars and Star Trek are not the same thing
  • Good for knowing how to hook the DVD player to the satellite receiver to the T.V.
  • Good for getting twice as far as you thought they could after the "Fuel" light went on
  • Good for conserving dish soap, laundry soap and bath soap
  • Good for plunging the toilet
  • Good for tossing children
  • Good for getting things on the top shelf
    Good for opening stuff
  • Good at winging things (Like sunday school lessons & church talks)
  • Good at tossing dirty socks into the hamper
  • Good at getting ready in less than five minutes
  • Good at conserving cell phone minutes
  • Good at making funny noises

The list goes on and on, but after a while you really start to see how the men add some real value around the home.

12 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Well, my husband's good for all that and more. ;) Hopefully, you aren't scarred for life from visiting our little blog-o.

Mitch said...

so which ones are you good at Tyler?

Amy said...

Some men are really good at tossing (or leaving) dirty socks anywhere BUT the hamper.

ks said...

just have to say, I came here by way of your comment on the above mentioned blog. Loved your comment, love your blog. Thanks for showing me all that my dh does. :)

Chris said...

I'm in total agreement, except for the hooking up the audio visual "stuff" Anonymous Mike

Charlotte said...

The fuel light thing was one of the first surprises of marriage for me.

AMAZING.

D-dawg said...

Very true. May I add a few:

*good at eating leftovers
*good at mowing the lawn
*good at killing bugs
*good at picking up dead birds and animals that your sick cat leaves in the yard

Celia Fae said...

My husband is better than me at tidying the home, paying bills, and I'm sure he'd excel at getting kids to practice if he supported athletic activities.

I am good at babies, children, and entertaining myself. Also, I type super fast. Although his value at home and elsewhere far exceeds mine, I still manage to hang on to him.

I think you are full of it, Tyler B.

Tyler said...

One of my favorite things is when someone calls me Tyler B. My dad used to say it a lot growing up. People don't say it so much any more. Maybe this is the start of a come-back.

And yes, I am full of it, but I am good at all the things I listed.

Celia Fae said...

p.s. I'm glad you liked hearing our bodies talk.

Molly said...

Do those funny noises include farting? Because we all know you boys are good at that.

Oh, and I'm the one who proves how far you can go on an empty tank. Christian hates it. I love it.

Ashley said...

It's funny that D-Dawg mentioned getting rid of dead critters after our recent dead critter incident.

I'd add lighting pilot lights, hanging things on the wall, assembling things, and watching tv without simultaneously doing household tasks.

I disagree with Ms. Fae on mowimg the lawn and paying bills.