Saturday, May 5, 2007

All Apologies


I've gotten pretty good at apologies over the last 3 years. My latest apology came just yesterday when I hijacked Ashley's blog. I thought the whole thing was hilarious. She didn't. Just hours after I took over her blog I was "compelled" to give it back, and all evidence of my brief ownership was promptly removed.

The whole situation remindeds me of another time I thought something would be hilarious, but wasn't. It involved a trick cigarette lighter that shocks its victim when touched.

It was my first Christmas with Ashley and her family. We were out to dinner with her family. The whole family; Parents, siblings, aunts & uncles, grandparents, cousins...they were all there.

During dinner her cousin passed me a lighter that was actually an electric shocking device. I thought it would be really funny to try it on Ashley (first mistake). Since we were holding hands under the table, like newlyweds do, I figured I could just slip the lighter into her hand without her even knowing (second mistake). It would be the perfect surprise. It turned out to be a huge surprise, but things didn't play out quite like I imagined.
After Ashley shrieked she threw one of the hardest elbows I've ever seen in my direction. Then she started to cry. The stares and silience that followed are probably the darkest, most embarrassing moments I have ever experienced.

By the end of dinner the situation calmed down a bit. Ashley's dad never decided to press charges and Rex (Ashley's heat packing FBI brother) didn't take me out in the alley and shoot me. But that little 'prank' remains to this day the most uncomfortable, embarrassing thing I've ever done.

4 comments:

brooke said...

Tyler,I felt for you that night because it was a totally uncomfortable situation. But in retrospect, it is funny and it's funny that you and Ashley both remember the incident with perfect clarity.

Linda said...

Tyler, I was there and remember being pretty confused about why Ashley was crying. I don't think we were staring at you - we weren't even sure what had happened. But now that it's all "out there," it is pretty funny.
(tu madre-in-law)

Ashley said...

I still maintain that this shock was more painful than childbirth. But you have suffered for it and it is time we all move on.

Tyler said...

Yes, a AAA battery does pack quite a punch. I'll see if I can find one that uses a watch battery next time.