Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Clear Expectations

Mr. Dickens can have his Great Expectations. I'll settle for clear. And clear is what I got. I know of noone who more clearly communicates expectations than Ashley.



Just moments ago she leaned over my shoulder and said, "Just in case you're wondering, I'm expecting something for Mother's Day. Would you like me to give you guidelines?"

No, I don't want guidelines, but I do appreciate knowing what is expected of me (even though sometimes that approach can be a bit tacky).

When I tell her I love her, she says, "Why?" instead of "Thank you." or "Me Too." She reminds me that I need to say or do more for her sake. She expects gushy proclamations of love and adoration. When there's not enough gush on my end (almost always), she tells me. It's the same reason she has a "To Do List" for me (my idea). When she wants me to do something, she tells me, or writes it down. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Other things I know Ashley expects of me:


  • Take the trash out to the curb

  • Bathe Charlie at night

  • Earn a decent living (enough to make sure Charlie has a nice home and cute shoes)

  • Mow the lawn

  • Be a loving dad & husband who holds up his share of the household responsibilities

The list is a little longer than this, but its not about length or greatness. I just appreciate that her expectations of me are clear.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I know you are not interested, but I wouldn't mind some new perfume or this cute "Happy Everything" plate at Cranberry Mercantile that I would use on birthdays (the kids').

Tyler said...

Ohhhh, that's a great idea for a blog post. Post all the gifts you want for the year, then everybody you know will know can always get you the perfect gift. And if you make the list big enough it was still always be a surprise.