Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Glory Days

As I get older fewer and fewer things are new and exciting. It doesn't worry me so much as it makes me sad. I miss the thrill of discovery and taking chances, especially during my teenage years. I miss the anticipation of a big snowboarding trip with friends, the excitement of a new school year or the exhilleration of sneaking out in the middle of the night to go joy riding...you know what I mean.

Would I choose then over now? Absolutely not. Teenage years are so filled with insecurity and uncertainty that it's impossible to be perfectly happy as a teenager. And I love my life now and I'm happier than I ever have been. I wouldn't trade it for a second, but getting older does take the surprise out of life. I miss surprises.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I can't help but feel responsible for this. I believe, however, that you will get to experience all those thrills again both by all the newness of being a parent and by living vicariously through the kids as they grow up.

Molly said...

Landing on your head off a table top? Do you miss that?

Tyler said...

I miss landing on my head and not getting hurt. Now I can't do that stuff because I break when I fall now.