Monday, May 21, 2007

Bonk!

Tonight I let Charlie stand and play at our ottoman while I dug into some Wheat Thins, cheddar cheese and a Diet Coke. Lately I've been so proud of the fact that he can stand on his own while holding on to things. Then I messed up. I spilled my Coke on the couch. The first big spill on the couch.


I quickly snatched up the Coke but it was too late. I put my plate of crackers and the Coke on the floor next to Charlie and ran to get a rag (Charlie still standing at the ottoman). I raced back to the couch to blot up the mess. As I dabbed at the couch I took my eye off Charlie. The next thing I saw was Charlie falling towards the floor like a small redwood tree felled at the base. Unfortunately the soft carpet didn't break his fall, the Diet Coke did. He smashed little cheek into the can and began to scream.




That was Charlie's first big bonk. I felt horrible as I tried to console him. He just sobbed. Luckily a warm bath and a little Baby Einstein made him forget about that little incident.

I knew Diet Coke was bad for babies, but until tonight I wasn't quite sure why. Now I know.


4 comments:

Ashley said...

I will have the world know that I was at the gym and Tyler was officially baby-sitting during this tragedy. Poor little Charlie! He was probably just trying to get a sip of Coke, bless his heart.

Linda said...

I understand that Charlie is "working it" already. Ashley called to say she was on her way to buy him a new toy - a drum and rhythm set. (Only a first-time parent would buy that!)

Molly said...

He'll be that much tougher for it. He'll thank you some day.

Dave said...

Tyler. I can totally relate to the guilt of letting your kids get bonked... my wife has blogged about our youngest's many bonks. I basically walk around telling her to be careful and trying to stay down the stairs from her at all times, just in case.

Anyway... just wanted to let you know that bonks build character... so don't sweat it. You're doing Charlie a favor!

Later!