Wednesday, December 12, 2007

11,690 Days Ago

My mom sent me this story yesterday (in one big paragraph). Since I know I will lose it if I don't do something with it, thought I would post it here on my blog which, if you haven't figured out yet, doubles as my personal journal.

"Speaking of birthdays, I was just remembering yours from 32 years ago. I'm sure you've heard the story many times (now I'm reminding myself of mom and grandma Adrian), but maybe having it written down you can save it . Your due date was Jan. 9 and I was busy making gifts for all the nieces and nephews that December. I was a little leary of an early delivery because of our previous experience. At my scheduled Dr. appointment I mentioned to the Dr. at Kaiser that we were considering an outing with our 3 1/2 year old son to cut down a Christmas tree, and might that be too strenuous? He said it sounded fine, and that I'd probably even end up delivering late this time. So we brought Ian's friend, our neighbor, Aaron Frasier with us and first went to Santa's villiage before hiking a hillside in the Santa Cruz mountains to find that perfect tree. A few days later, dad and I and Ian were all seated in the chapel for afternoon Primary opening exercises. I was a teacher, Ian, a Sunbeam, and dad (who did not have a Primary calling) had been envited by Pat Darby to talk about Christmas in Mexico to her class. When we were dismissed to head to our classrooms, I leaned on the back of the pew in the row ahead of where I was sitting to heave myself up, when unmistakably my water broke. So, I sat back down. The news traveled quickly, and it was shortly decided that we'd take the Camerons up on their offer to borrow their car (after much declining) because our 240Z was pretty tiny. Pat Darby volunteered to take Ian home with her after Primary (so what did she do for a lesson??). I had had 2 long labors previously and wasn't in the least concerned about the hours drive to San Jose (the Kielly Blvd. hosp.). But I was soon very glad for the Camerons roomy reclining seat, as I shortly began experiencing majoy labor. It was one of those "glad we make it to the hospital in time" experiences. We arrived, Mike checked me in, and I was wisked away in a wheel chair. I had already decided that this delivery would be the druged /pain-free type, as I'd already experienced the stylish many-hours-natural-type with Ian. But a nurse shortly informed my that there wouldn't be time for medication to work as I was having this baby very soon. There was definitely a little anxiety for us, as you were 4 weeks early. When you arrived we were very happy and thankful that you were declared perfectly healthy and 6 lb. 5 oz. Not bad for that early. I don't remember much about the hospital stay, other than that dad declared that you were definitely an Edwards when he first held you (actually, a MacTavish to be very specific). I don't think we had much at home ready for you (given my long hours at the sewing machine). Did we use the Crump's cute white wicker cradle with you? or just the girls?? You looked very tiny, and Aunt Julie bought you a tiny red, trimmed in green, doll pajama to wear. Anyway, you must have been a pretty good baby those first few weeks at home, because I somehow managed to complete the majority of the gifts. (Ian liked helping with the sewing.). The only real screaming I remember you doing, was when your clothes were taken off to diaper you. And that was easy to remember because you would turn quite red and hold your breath. The next 32 years were real easy because you were the mellow, easy going, cheerful (is obedient a bit much to say?) kid. Happy Birthday Tyler. love, mom"

3 comments:

Molly said...

Wait. "the mellow, easy going, cheerful (is obedient a bit much to say?) kid" implies you were the ONLY "mellow, easy going, cheerful kid." I might have to have a little talk with mom.

Tyler said...

I don't think it is an implication. It's a fact.

Molly said...

Grrrrrr. It's on, brotha'!