Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Why do you blog?

Why do you blog? If you're reading this you probably have a blog of your own. I know this because I know all three people that check this blog. At least I hope its still three. So why do you blog?

Me? First of all, let's get the facts straight. I don't blog. I believe that to have a blog and to be a blogger are two separate things. If I were to blog, why would I do it? Probably for the attention. How would I get that attention?

First I'd try to be funny. I like to think I'm very witty. After a while of sitting in front of a blank screen I might realize that my type of humor doesn't translate well to blogspeak. Then I would wonder where my humor translates well.

Next I'd probably come up with a slightly exagerated opinion that many people can relate to, hoping that I'd get a lot of comments from people that feel just the same way. Unfortunately I would realize a few moments later that I don't have the same opinions as other people, and that I would have to make up opinions I thought would be popular to others in order to make my readers feel like they totally understood me.

Last I would realize that it takes too much effort to be popular in the blogging world and give up. It takes some talent to be funny, engaging and opinionated, all without offending those very people you write to and about each day.