Sunday, December 30, 2007

Don't Call Me Ty

I rarely take shortcuts with words. I don't like shortening them and I'm(contractions don't count) really not sure why. I think I can blame(or thank) my parents, childhood friends and my engineering mind. Case in point, it took me years to get myself comfortable calling it "the fridge". When I hear "The Fridge" I think of the 1985 Chicago Bears and "The Super Bowl Shuffle."

I also rarely shorten names, use nicknames or call people by their last name. I feel like a highschool gym coach when I do. It doesn't bother me so much when I hear others do it, except when it is my name being shortened, then I hate it.

What does this mean? Am I stuffy and uptight? Or does it just means that I didn't grow up around people who had a habit of taking shortcuts on words? Not sure.

Luckily I think I've softened just slightly in the past 3 1/2 years. I am almost positive that recently I called my wife Ash instead of Ashley. Doesn't sound like much, but its a major milestone for me. Ashley is much more of a casual conversationalist than I am and I hope that, with time, it will rub off on me. I also think it might be good for our marriage if I could come to terms with the fact that she calls one of her college roommates "Seabass" and her brother "The Wart".

8 comments:

brooke said...

What about calling mini vans "minis?" :-)

Tyler said...

I've harped on that one enough. During Ashley's sensitive pregnant phase I'd rather not bring up such controversial topics such as the "mini" vs. "minivan" debate.

Laura B. said...

I take "seabass" as a term of endearment. but it did take me a while to get to that point!

Molly said...

I've noticed that. Our family doesn't really use nick-names. And I've never really had nicknames. I call my friend Jenni by probably 3 or 4 different nicknames. I guess some people are just nickname magnets. Not me. The closest for me is "Molls," which really bothered me in high school until I realized that it was really just the guy who called me that who bothered me. It didn't bother me after I realized that. I think that's the closest I've ever come to having a nickname.

Ashley said...

I actually sort of wish you had a nickname for me. I find them endearing. Even if they are vulgar references to body parts.

Ashley C. said...

No one ever called me 'Ash' until a couple years ago. It's actually kinda nice. I think nicknames mean you're 'cool'. Like someone actually took the time to notice you and give you a name that suited you. Although most of my nicknames now seem to rhyme with Ashley and start with 'ass,' so maybe it's not so cool!! ps. I hate when people use acronyms when speaking. Maybe it's genetic.

5keelers said...

I remember your Mom getting upset with a girl down your street for calling your sister "Ash" and we thought she said..well "donkey". Maybe she did say Ash...Maybe not! I remember you Mom letting the little girl know that her name was Ashley and please no nicknames. Hummm. Maybe deep down you remember this too. By the way I HATE my nickname and your Uncle Walt took me too my first day of
1st grade and told the teacher my name was Corky and for YEARS that is what everyone called me. YUCK!

Tyler said...

Corin? Wow, how did you find my blog? I didn't think that many people knew about it. I've heard a few of the cousins up your way have blogs too. Do you have links to them? I'd very curious to hear what's happening up there.