Saturday, September 15, 2007

Customer Service is King, But Not at Golfsmith

I'm in a bind. I visited Golfsmith today and was once again disappointed. Golfsmith is perhaps my favorite store to visit despite its generally under trained and unresponsive staff. It's got a huge selection of golf and tennis equipment and decent prices to boot. Apparently they don't spend much on training and personnel though. I believe in good customer service and feel a certain allegiance to purchasing my equipment from the store that helps me make my decision. However, I'm just finding it harder and harder to shop there since the experience has done little to give me better information for my purchase.

Every time I go to Golfsmith I find that it takes forever to get someone to help you and when that finally happens it is unlikely that the person will know how to answer your question.

Today was a different problem though. I was interested in demoing a few iron sets and utility/hybrid clubs (a cross between fairway woods and irons). I'm looking to find the perfect 14th club for my golf bag. Right now I have a need to fill the gap between my 3-wood and my 3-iron. Since utility clubs are all the rage I figured I'd try a few out.

Full list of things I'd like to get (wish list, not need list):

  • Minzuno MP32 Irons
  • 19-21 Degree Utility Club (Hybrid)
  • 56 Degree Sand Wedge
  • 60 Degree Lob Wedge
  • Stand Bag


Golfsmith has a club fitting / practice area that includes a launch monitor to help you figure out which clubs you hit best. Sounds great, right? Today those machines weren't working. In fact, they rarely work. Not sure why they don't repair them or replace them. When they finally did get one machine working, it didn't seem to have very reliable feedback so I decided it would be best to visit an outdoor driving range with a demo area. That way I can be sure of what I'm testing.

Should I stay or should I go? Not sure, but my crush on Golfsmith is fading quickly.

4 comments:

Mitch said...

I've been to Fenway Park. You go because you love the sport, who cares about the stupid people. I say you should stick it out. Maybe you should speak to a manager and ask him to hire you. Fun part-time job, huh?

Tyler said...

I would love to work at a golf shop, second maybe to working at a golf course. Secretly I dream about owning a golf facility and teaching lessons to kids (I think most adults are too set in their ways to change their swing enough to matter). Who knows maybe some day.

Ashley said...

The broken demo area reminds me of 24 hour fitness with all their broken treadmills. What gives? How bout trying a different Golfsmith store? Aren't they all over? The one on Stevens Creek really does have bad customer service.

Tyler said...

I've been to a few and strangely enough they seem to all be employeed by the same unhelpful teenagers. I almost wonder if they've been given the directive to "stand back and not interfere with the customer's experience". I really don't get it.