Friday, September 7, 2007

Grumpy Old Man

It's official. I'm old and crotchety. Not only do I not relate to teenagers these days. They get on my nerves. At least 4 or 5 of them do. I'm in charge of the 14 & 15 year old boys at church on Sundays and I'm an assistant Boy Scout leader during the week.

I thought I just had to get to know the kids. Unfortunately, they're not really growing on me...yet (I hope they'll grow up a bit and I'll soften up a bit). The funny thing is that all the teens I work with are very bright, good natured kids. But they are absolutely the most inattentive and disrespectful bunch I've had the chance to work with.

Has discipline gone out of style? I sure haven't seen any in a while.

Editorial Update: Today in church I led a discussion in a class with these same 5 boys. I am happy to report, that all 5 boys behaved very well and I was quite impressed with their demeanor and participation. I guess I just have to learn to expect a little up and down from these boys. They've still got a little growing up to do, but so do I. I'm looking forward to spending more time with them.

5 comments:

Amy said...

yeah, self-discipline is definitely out. And its kind of hard to appreciate wise-cracks when they're coming from people half your age and half your maturity level.

Mitch said...

I know what you're going through. I worked with the youth for five years (YM's, Scouting & Seminary). I remember asking a college student to teach a seminary class "because she related to the youth more than I do". After I asked the person to substitue teach, it dawned on me ~ I don't relate to the youth anymore. I always admired the youth for all they go through and how good they are, but I also never understood them (their comments, ADD-ness, lack of respect, etc). It kind of stinks, but we've got to get as much practice as we can... our kids are going to be that age sometime and we've got to be ready.

Molly said...

Try having teenagers move in with you. It's true--you just have to expect ups and downs and pray for a TON of patience.

Ashley said...

I want to smack most teenagers, and a good portion of the primary too.

Molly said...

I want to smack the primary teachers whose kids are in primary and causing half the noise! No joke--we have teachers who don't bother to tell their own kids to be quiet during singing and sharing time!! Honestly. Smack smack smack.