Sunday, February 24, 2008

Judge Not

Recently I posted about why I believed Roger Clemens was lying to Congress when he testified that he never took Human Growth Hormone or steroids. I still believe he is not telling the truth. I base my opinion on listening to Roger's own testimony in front of Congress, the testimony of Brian McNamee (his accuser), the testimony of Andy Pettitte (teammate and friend of Roger), and the testimony of Chuck Knoblauch (teammate of Roger). Based on everything I've watched, read and heard I would say there is a 99.9% chance he's lying.

Am I judging, in the biblical "judge not" sense (Matthew 7:1) to say I think he's lying? I posed this question to a class of 14 year old boys at church today. They concluded that I was wrong to pass judgement regarding Roger. Are they right?

3 comments:

Mitch said...

if you were on a jury... yes, it's okay to pass your judgement on the evidence... however, you're not... so I beleive NO.

Molly said...

I think if you said he should go to Hell, you would be passing judgement. But I think you're entitled to your opinion, right? Maybe not, if the 14 year olds all agreed...

Tyler said...

So Mitch, does that mean I'm not allowed to form opinions about anyone's actions or personal character so long as I am not part of the law enforcement system? Or is the rule that I am not allowed to judge unless I am a personal witness to bad behavior. All throughout my life I have chosen to associate with people I judged as being good and generally avoided those I judged as having serious character flaws. Was I wrong then too? If one removes all judgement from their life, then they loose the ability to act completely. Where do you draw the line?