Thursday, February 14, 2008

Roger Clemens

Roger Clemens is the new George Costanza. He's literally unbelievable. Does he really expect people to take him seriously? In case you haven't been following the drama, Roger Clemens, arguably the best pitcher of all time, has been accused of taking steroids and human growth hormone (HGH) among other things. During a sworn testimony yesterday he vehemently and repeatedly denied the accusations. Here's why there is no way he is telling the truth:

Reason #1: Clemen's wife admits to using HGH, and his personal trainer was the one that administered the drugs, in Clemen's home, in his bedroom.
Clemen's defense #1: He had no idea she took the drugs at the time and only learned about it after the fact. Come on. Do you expect anyone to believe that?

Reason #2: His good friend, Andy Petite, testified under oath that Clemens admitted to using HGH.
Clemen's defense #2: Andy must have "misremembered" the conversation. Again, unbelievable. Is it even permissible to use made-up words as a defense?

Reason #3: His trainer (the guy that administered the drugs) recalls details like an "abscess" on Clemen's butt due to steroid injections. There was an MRI taken of the abscess.
Clemen's defense #3: The abscess was caused by a different injection (a claim refuted by real doctors). First of all, noone makes stuff up like butt abscesses? Second of all, you can't argue with doctors.

It's too late for Clemen's to just come clean. Would have been nice if he had. In a strange way, I think America would have respected the guy for coming clean. Take a look at Petite and Knoblauch. They almost look better now after the ordeal.

6 comments:

Molly said...

Ew. A butt abscess. Abscess sounds gross enough on its own--but combined with butt? That's just disgusting.

Mitch said...

I am not going to judge. I will continue to be the blind baseball lover... and I will also continue to NEVER TRUST THE MEDIA. But I have to comment on your blog. (1) Wives go to the gym without their spouses all the time. Wives meet with personal trainers by themselves all the time. My mom and dad currently have the same personal trainer and they don't go to the gym together and they are working out differently and the trainer recommends different things to them both. (2) First of all, it's Andy Pettitte. Second of all, he couldn't remember the year it was said... he may have misinterpreted or he may have completely misunderstood... is that too hard to believe? It's possible. (3) An abscess is only pus in a cavity... the prime suspects of an abscess are splinters, bullet wounds and needles. They are formed when there is a reaction... the body can react to things differently all the time. Your mention of doctors is just like my belief in English teachers... you write a term paper and 10 English teachers will grade it 10 different ways. In this case, I haven't heard which doctors you are talking about, but I can guarantee that there are other doctors out there that will back Clemens (and not just because he's Clemens).

Tyler said...

The thing that gets me is the dishonesty. Either McNamee or Clemens is lying and I've decided that I believe McNamee and not Clemens.

At some point someone has got to make a judgment. What does it say to kids and young athletes if there are no negative repercussions for drug abuse?

And another question: If you believe Clemens, what do you think about Bonds or McGwire?

Mitch said...

I don't know who to beleive... and I'm not going to make any decision on that until one changes his story.

As for Bonds & McGwire, my feelings are the same.

I hate the media for all this (even though you're probably thinking I should hate the people that have infitrated the sport with bad things and in hind's sight, baseball should have been more clear cut on their rules). I hate how the stupid idiot SF Chronical reporters (Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada) received awards and honors for what they did.

All I can say (in my defense) is that even I purchased Creatine because it was what everyone else was doing. Even today people are trying to ban that from sports. If I would have heard of Androstenedione (Andros - it's what McGwire admits to taking while legal in baseball it was banned in other sports), who knows, maybe I would have purchased that too.

What do you think about this? If what the media is saying is true... 50-75% of baseball is doing steriods... then why aren't more people doing what McGwire, Bonds, and Clemens are doing? Why didn't we see Chuck Knoblauch hitting 50 HR's or why didn't we see Jeremy Giambi do what his brother Jason did?

Don't take that as a justification, just a point.

Tyler said...

A few thoughts:
1) I think drugs in general (prescription, performance enhancing, or the kind that get you high) are very dangerous, but my problem isn't Clemen's use of drugs. He cheated and that's wrong, but so have many other players. Why should he be singled out and put on the national chopping block? I don't think that's fair.

2) We all make mistakes. Sometimes it just requires getting caught to realize how wrong something really was. For example, I cheated on a college exam my freshmen year. I didn't think it was a big deal...until I got caught. I'm sure many of these players were convinced that they weren't doing something that was that bad. When they figure it out, let's let them apologize and move on.

3) However, at some point you have to own up and come clean. Whether it is unprompted, or after you have been caught, the right thing to do is to admit you were wrong, apologize and accept the consequences. The difference between Clemens and Knoblauch is that Clemens refuses to admit he did something wrong. This is what I take issue with. I think the way Clemens continues to deny and deceive is wrong.

Of course, if he is innocent as he claims, I am the one that is wrong for judging. I just don't think that is very likely.

One last comment: don't blame the media. These player owe their salaries to the media. MLB as we know it would not exist without ESPN, FOX Sports, the Networks, etc. They may be opportunistic and gutless at times, but they are not the root of the problem. The players and MLB culture / policies are the cause.

Ashley said...

Holy crap, you and Mitch need to use the phone. I thought Clemens looked like a total liar. I despise liars.