Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mitch Dabo: A Good Friend

Mitch Dabo III (pronounced "dahbo" not "daybo" as of 1997) is as good as it gets when it comes to friends. I've got other great friends too; a smart one, a funny one, a driven one, a principled one and a spiritual one. They are all true friends with their own strengths, but Mitch represents what one would think of when you hear the word true friend.

Here's what makes Mitch a friend:

  • He's reliable like a Honda. If he says he will be there, he won't just show up, he will get there early, help set up and then run to the store to pick up the things I forgot.
  • He's good for it. If I knocked on his door tonight and told him he owed me $50 from 5 years ago(which he doesn't) he would pull out the cash and give it to me right then and there, even if he knew I was off my rocker.
  • He's genuine. I often have to feign interest in many of the conversations I have with people. I've had thousands of conversations with Mitch and watched him have hundreds more. I think he's honestly interested in people. He makes everyone feel like they're a friend.
  • He's goes the distance. If my car broke down in the middle of Nevada (which has happened to me 3 times) and I called Mitch he would drop everything and drive the 500 miles to pick me up. Of course I'd call AAA long before I called Mitch. He doesn't know a thing about cars and doesn't own a tow truck, but you get the point.
  • He brought me a pie this past Sunday.
  • He's classic. Not classy mind you, classic. It's like he was transported here from the 50's. He subsribes to old school values and old school work ethic (like not a minute over 40 hrs a week). It's like hanging out with grandpa when you're with Mitch.

So here's to a good ol' boy that's a good ol' friend.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Mitch is like someone transported from the fifties isn't he? We're lucky to have him as our manager and isagenix cheerleader.

Unknown said...

is that all it takes..a pie..I saw through the other stuff and got right down to the 3.16 ...if that's all it takes...you can send my a pie anytime:)

Unknown said...

Hey...what about the rest of us????

Mitch said...

Tyler - it takes great-life-long friends to have great-life-long friends. Thanks for your accolades.

Now for the corrections:
(1) pronounced 'dahbo' since '96 not '97
(2) I'd pay you the $50 because you were asking for it, then I'd spend the next week trying to build my case why you were wrong and then ask you for the $50 bucks back.
(3) I do own a truck with a tow hitch... As you wait the 8 hours before I get there, you could use your engeneering skills to gimmie something together for us be able to bring your car back the whole 500 miles... AAA is good but they're only good for 10-25 miles (unless you want to pay a premium)
(4) Truly, you were the first on my list for the pie. But in all fairness, I was given the pie... If it were a double fudge chocolate on chocolate cake whatever, I would have foregone my Isagenix diet and probably eaten the whole thing myself before the night ended.
(5) I don't work more than 40 hours at HP. They won't pay me for it. Why in the world would I ever work more? I have 4 jobs right now (HP, private tutoring, aparment managing, and Isagenix) and Jill will be the first to tell you I work more than 40 hours a week.

But all said, thanks for your thoughts and thanks for your friendship more.

Tyler said...

Good point. I forgot about the fact that AAA only takes you 25 miles. I probably would have to call you (or my dad) in that case.

Tyler said...

Couple more things:
1) Yes, Steve, a pie is all it takes. I'm easy.
2) Another thing I appreciate about Mitch. If you invite him to your party and tell him not to bring a gift, he won't. And if you offer to pay (or at least split the bill) he lets you. I like that. And he knows I would return the favor any day.

Ashley said...

I agree that Mitch is a very true and loyal friend. You can always count on Mitch to show up for a party or to drive you to the airport. I'm glad you brought him and Jill into my life.

Natalee Maynes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalee Maynes said...

I agree. Mitch and Jill are gems.

Mitch said...

I love how if I google myself... this is the FIRST thing that comes up. Pretty good if someone is trying to find out if I'm a good guy or not.