Monday, July 21, 2008

Ashley: My Tree-hugging Sister

Meet Ashley, my tree-hugging, animal loving, gingerbread house building, liberal sister. Here she is with Jose, her vegan boyfriend.

Like Jose, Ashley is also a vegan. And she's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet...especially if your a tomato, a kitty-cat or poultry.

  • She loves to cook. Check out her blog about vegan recipes for disasters to see just how much she likes to cook and bake. Note: I think you can use these recipes during periods of calm too.
  • She loves to garden. A couple months ago when Ashley (my wife) started a garden, Ashley (my sister) brought over a few tomato plants and a pumpkin plant, which survived this summer's heat wave (unlike some of our store bought plants). She has also been known to drop off potted plants or flowers just because she's nice. Thanks Ashley.
  • She loves animals. From the time she was young she loved all types of animals, especially horses and dogs. She was always bringing home pets (birds, rats, dogs, cats, turtles, fish, etc.) but unlike most kids who quickly lost interest in pets, Ashley did a great job of caring for them. (Ashley, there was nothing you could have done for that parakeet.)
  • She loves school. She must because she's been going to college for over 10 years. In those ten years she's studied everything from horticulture to other stuff.
  • She loves nature and the environment. She's always respected living creatures and the environment. I once squashed a spider just to make her mad and I still feel bad about it. I think she probably does too. I don't think she prays much, but if she did I'm sure she would pray for all the creepy crawly creatures along with the cute kitty-cats, tomatos and poultry.
We don't always share the same political or religious views, but I've definitely learned a thing or two from her about animals, trees and even people.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

I like Ashley a lot, but I'm not sure she'd be nice to me if I was a tomato. The girl can dice.

And who else makes a "Bohemian Cottage" gingerbread house? (Complete with dog and excrement.) So funny.

Ashley said...

Also, that was a sweet post and you are a nice big brother.

(And I see what "I have to work late" really means.)

(And if you click on the picture so it gets big, you can see the dog excrement.)

Ashley C. said...

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see a post about myself when I checked your blog tonight! The nice thing about family is that you can be totally different but still really like each other. I actually forgot the spider squashing incident, so I guess that means I'm not holding a grudge. Ashley's right...you are a nice big brother, even if you don't believe in global warming!

Unknown said...

global warming is a lie

TexasTwinsTwice said...

I bet you have some REALLY interesting family discussions!

Tyler said...

Funny thing is, we almost never talk about politics, religion or the environment when we all get together. Maybe that's why we get along so well.

Chris said...

What does Ashley mean when she says you don't believe in global warming? It's not true, is it? Are you closed minded like Kyle?
Jo Daddy

Tyler said...

I never said I didn't believe in global warming. I said I didn't care about it. I have no opinions on it either way. If its getting warmer, great, let's spend more time at the lake. If it's getting colder, great, let's spend more time on the ski slopes. I have more important things to spend my time worrying about than global warming.

Ashley said...

Here's an inconvenient comment: I don't believe the evidence is conclusive either way on global warming. It certainly is not certain enough to put the well-being of some seals or polar bears who may or may not be at risk 1,000,000 years from now above genuine current human needs.

Love, your ignorant, closed-minded, judgmental wife.

Tyler said...

Ashley. It's people like you that made sure that I would never know what a dodo bird tasted like.

Molly said...

Ha! I love that you made Ashley sound like a hippy. Hippy, punk, vegan...it's all the same, right? That was a very nice post! Isn't it interesting that Ashley was always interested in living things and art? Now she's vegan, in love with plants, and a landscape designer. Definitely proof that we are all born with our own personalities and passions.

Oh, and you totally got dissed by Dad. Uh-burn!