Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Speaking of Water

I love bottled water like Diet Coke addicts love gettin' it from the fountain. I recommend the following brands:

  1. Dasani - We took a load of this stuff up to Tahoe this weekend. It impressed me enough to add it to my list of approved waters.
  2. Nestle Pure Life - They've got cases of Nestle at work sitting in all the rooms. Not a bad bottle of water. Keeps me hydrated whilst I toil and sweat to earn a living.
  3. Kirkland - Not sure who the supplier is, but Costco's water delivers. This is a staple for me. Some might be quick to point out that Costco's water, like many others, is nothing more than tap water run through a filter with minerals added back in for flavor. More power to them.

There are other brands I don't much care for:

  1. Perrier - Water shouldn't come in glass bottles. Every time I drink water (carbonated or not) from a glass bottle I'm let down that its just water.
  2. VOSS - Have you ever had this stuff? Artesian water from Norway? "One of the purest waters on the market." Give me a break. Putting water in a fancy bottle doesn't make it taste any better. If you ask me, the Kirkland water I get from Costco beats the pants off VOSS. Bring it Norway!
  3. Arrowhead Water - I loathe Arrowhead Water. Apparently it comes from a spring somewhere in the mountains. Someone tapped the wrong spring, cause this stuff tastes like chalk.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

This is a great post. You are at your finest when you are highly opinionated on the smallest of matters.

You have been talking about the vileness of arrowhead water for weeks now. I've never known a man to be so affected by a water.

Amy said...

Tyler, did you know that most bottled waters are bottled tap water? I've read several articles talking about how Dasani in particular bottles tap water.

Not sure if costco uses tap or not, but I like their water too.

Tyler said...

Amy, yes. I think all the brands I like are bottled tap water. With bottled tap water they filter the water to remove impurities then add minerals to give it great taste. Clean and refreshing!

Molly said...

Arrowhead is so gross. And I grew up loving tap water, so if I say it's gross, then it's gross.

Amy said...

Maybe arrowhead isn't filtering or isn't adding the minerals back in then...

Ashley C. said...

I just spent the last 10 minutes writing about how tap water is more strictly regulated than bottle water and often times safer and cleaner, not to mention about 100 times cheaper, but then I figured you probably know this and don't care. But if you're ever interested, there's a pretty cool movie we watched in my water policy class called THIRST about the privatization of water and it's effects on third world countries when companies like Coke and Pepsi bottle all their water and try to sell it back to them at ridiculously inflated prices. I'm sure you don't care, but I thought I'd put it out there.

ps. Arrowhead is disgusting.

Tyler said...

I am interested in bottled water vs. tap water. My preference: bottled tap water.

My question with Coke, Pepsi and rediculously overpriced bottled water for third world countries is: Would you rather pay rediculous amount of money for clean water, or have free water that might make you sick? Until the govenments figure out how to deliver clean tap water in those countries I don't see any reason Coke shouldn't step in and provide a much needed service.

I drank plenty of expensive bottled water while in Uruguay and rarely got sick. I certainly don't regret paying for it.

brooke said...

Water is water. I drank an arrowhead water today and found it refreshing and tasty--as tasty as water is--water tastes like nothing so all water tastes the same. The end.

Ashley C. said...

When Bolivia's water system in Cochabamba was privatized, the people revolted and pushed the company out. For them, affordable water was more important. Besides, Coke bottles India's water for a profit, not a public service. Their ground water is being sucked dry and women have to walk miles a day to get water. I don't think it's helping them much.

Ashley C. said...

ps. I obviously drink bottled water when I'm out and about and need something to drink, I just think it's a bit irresponsible to drink it all the time when we have perfectly good water that doesn't need to be shipped halfway across the world in millions of plastic bottles.