Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yes, TexasTwinsTwice, It Does Happen.

Just yesterday TexasTwinsTwice wrote the following comment on my Taxes: Round 3 post:


Texastwinstwice:
"I put my comments in 'Taxes Round 1' as to how my family has worked 'hard' to earn our income. In addition, my husband worked 40 hrs a week as a ditch digger & dishwasher while he took a full course load of college classes (which he paid for himself). I admit--he was crazy, but DEFINITELY a hard worker. Now if a lettuce picker spends the day working & the evenings in night school, he/she won't be picking lettuce for long..."

My response...

Tyler:
"...in theory I'd like to subscribe to your view of "all it takes is hard work." Practically however, I believe there will always be a segment of society that doesn't view opportunity the same way you do.

...if the "lettuce picker" went to night school it wouldn't be the same one your husband went to. I presume your husband went to night courses in college, am I correct? Or was he learning english at night?"



Well, it looks as though one field worker did just that. Worked hard, got an education and is now a world class brain surgeon.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25802159/&GT1=43001

Great story. Would that there were many more of these. However, things like this are still rare enough that the story made national news.

Note: If you read the article carefully you will also see that he had a college education (at the age of 18) before he ever illegally immigrated. Not your typical immigrant.

5 comments:

Molly said...

So true. It's possible, but sadly quite rare. Their kids may do well as a result (we have plenty of medical students who grew up in those families), but as an evening ESL teacher I know that just showing up to a weekly ESL class after working is tough and nearly impossible if you have kids at home. So many hardworking immigrants don't learn English. But almost all of them work hard for their kids. Very nice post, Tyler.

I once helped in a summer ESL class and one of the students was a physician in his country before coming here. But because he didn't speak English, he was working in a restaurant kitchen and taking English classes here and there. Now that would be a tough sacrifice.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

I totally agree with your comment, "there will always be a segment of society that doesn't VIEW opportunity the same way". I've found this to be very true. I have known many immigrants that came from Africa and immediately started working 2 jobs while applying to or attending schools. It was AMAZING how they embraced this as a land of opportunity and immediately got to work. Many had faced SERIOUS conflicts in their home country--but yet they grasped for opportunity with both hands. I've seen it happen too many times to dimiss it as impossible. It is a lot more common than people seem to think. The question for me is, "Why do so many in our country not see those same opportunities?" I also TOTALLY agree that parents that value their children and education give their children an advantage--even if they are poor.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

oops-forgot to subscribe

TexasTwinsTwice said...

I’ve been thinking about my comments, and I hope they don’t give the impression that I think everyone is capable, or even has the desire to become a world-class brain surgeon (I know I’m not =)--or even wealthy. I have never thought that wealth or status equates to happiness, nor will I ever. I simply believe that people in our society are far more capable of providing for themselves than many give them credit for. Being self-reliant and providing for ones own needs and some wants is the definition of ‘making it’ in my opinion—whether that means being a maintenance man or a brain surgeon. Great pride and satisfaction come from providing for yourself and your own family. I think giving hand-outs is one of the most oppressive things a government can do to a people. It gives people just enough to survive, but not enough to have a decent quality of life. That is much more likely to be achieved if they seek to provide for themselves. I totally agree that there needs to be a safety net for the absolute down-trodden of our society, but that is not nearly as many people as are currently on welfare. Taxpayers don't need to be bled dry! (Wow--3 comments in a row--sorry I really don't 'think this blog is about' me! =)

Tyler said...

Very well put. I couldn't agree more.