Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Holy Cow...Charlie Counts!

I'm so proud, I can't stand it. Just a few minutes ago Ashley sat down with Charlie to try to get him back to bed (he'd been crying in his crib for the past 15 minutes). While sitting in the chair she held up her index finger and said, "What's this?"

"One." He said. I had never heard him say "one" before. I was impressed.



Then she held out two fingers. "What's this?"

"Two."


I stopped checking my email and focused all my attention on Charlie. Just counting to "two" was much more than I thought he was capable of.


Three fingers. "What's this?"


"Three."


My jaw was on the floor. With each additional finger came the right answer.


"Four."


"Five."


"Six."

Then he skipped seven.

"Eight."


"Nine."


I was on the edge of my seat by the time we got to Ashley's pinky finger.

"Ten."


Linda (his grandmother) is always swearing up and down that Charlie is "sooo smart." I wasn't ready to put him up at the top of the class just yet. Dude can't speak worth a nickel. Now? I've got no choice. He got a 9/10 on his first math test. Now if he could only learn to say his name.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Nine out of ten is 90 percent. He gets his math abilities from me. I have the jowls of Holland in that photo. The counting blew me away, too. It was even better that he did it in a half-sleep daze. I am pretty sure he will never do it again, and certainly not for anyone we are trying to impress. Glad you documented.

Molly said...

No way! 90 percent! Nice!

alexandra said...

Of course he is extremely bright! Look who is mom is.

Linda said...

I'm "Grandma Linda" and now he's proven me right!! I couldn't be more proud!! Math Sterling Scholar here we come!! (did I mention that Ashley was the math Sterling Scholar and got PERFECT scores on math on the ACT and the SAT!!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Smart kid--way to go guys!

Chris said...

This post definitely is for the proud grandmas. Since I had Charlie all to myself on Sat., I need to concur. Not only were we counting, we were working on colors!

teuscher travels said...

That picture is just darling!!